Welcome to Vikram Deb Autonomous College
Out of the intense desire of the public of this locality for the spread of higher education in this backward tribal area and in response to heavy public demand, the Govt. of Orissa evinced keen interest in starting a college at Jeypore from the session 1947-48.
The motto written in Sanskrit Devanagari script on the top is a prayer for leading humanity from darkness to light. The book and lamp are the eternal symbols of knowledge and light. The Konark wheel not only indicates the achievement of the people of Orissa in the field of art and architecture but also stands for progress. The waterfall next to the wheel stands for the scenic spots and natural potentialities of the locality. The name of the college is inscribed in English at the bottom.
Automated Library With 50,000 Books
Yearly 5000 Student Enrolled
26 Acre. Campus Area
------- Our History -------
Out of the intense desire of the public of this locality for the spread of higher education in this backward tribal area and in response to heavy public demand, the Govt. of Orissa evinced keen interest in starting a college at Jeypore from the session 1947-48. The philanthropist King Rajarshi Vikram Dev Verma who once ruled the state of Jeypore donated land and buildings for the college. His Diwan and other prominent citizens of the area extended all possible help and co-operation for this noble cause.
The college started functioning from 01-07-1947 as "JEYPORE COLLEGE" and Sj. K.M. Dwivedy joined the college as its first Principal on 06-07-1947. The college began with only 49 students, 09 teachers and 20 boarders in the hostel. Maharaja Vikram Dev Verma was a great patron of art, learning and culture in this neglected part of Orissa. As a tribute to his monumental contributions the Govt. of Orissa very aptly decided in 1951 to rechristen the erstwhile "JEYPORE COLLEGE" as "VIKRAM DEV COLLEGE". The statue of this great erudite scholar adorns the central place of the main building of the college.
The college was upgraded to a FIRST GRADE COLLEGE in 1961 with the opening of Under Graduate classes in Science and Humanities streams in 1961 and 1963 respectively. Honours teaching provisions were made during the years 1968-73. Teaching facilities at the Post-Graduate level were first initiated in the Department of History in 1979 and such facilities were extended to the Departments of Economics, Commerce and Political Science in 1983 and 1990 respectively. Higher secondary streams in Arts, Science and Commerce were introduced in 1983. Post- Graduate studies in Chemistry were introduced in 1993-94.